Hydro Attack Ltd is committed to running a sustainable business practice that conserves our physical and social/cultural environment. Our natural environment—such as ecosystems, biodiversity and native flora and fauna—are important to the Otago region and everyone in the local tourism industry. Using these resources in a sustainable manner ensures they’re preserved and protected into the future.
Here at Hydro Attack we recognise the importance of –
• Queenstown delivering a world-class visitor experience
• That New Zealand’s tourism sector is prosperous, attracts ongoing investment and looks after its staff
• That the Queenstown tourism sector takes a leading role in protecting and enhancing the environment
• That Queenstown’s tourism sector and the community can work together for mutual benefit
That’s why Hydro Attack have signed up to the Tourism Sustainability Commitment, joining other New Zealand tourism operators who are working to make a positive difference. The aim of the Tourism Sustainability Commitment is to see every New Zealand tourism business committed to sustainability by 2025. Developed by industry for industry, it establishes 8 industry-level sustainability goals and 14 commitments that individual businesses can achieve to help the industry reach our goals around protecting and enhancing the environment and the community on which tourism businesses depend.
Learn more about the Tourism Sustainability Commitment here.
Hydro Attack’s Sustainability Mission Statement
Hydro Attack is built on our values and these values guide our actions. We recognise the need to support our staff and our local community and preserve our natural environment. We can achieve this by making smart choices and undertaking positive steps to be sustainable in all aspects of our business.
Environment Business Practices
• We share our kiosk space with two other operators, reducing resources and electricity
• We run an online booking and accounts system – no paper vouchers or invoices required
• We re-use, reduce and recycle whenever possible and have recycling bins in our garage and accessible from the kiosk
• Vessel oil changes are carefully replaced and recycled
• Batteries are recycled and rechargeable devices used when ever possible
• Engines are constantly maintained to a high-performing fuel efficient standard
• We encourage customers to take their photos and videos digitally on their phones rather than a physical USB
• We are always looking to upgrade our equipment to more energy efficient solutions. In November 2016 we ungraded our passenger boat’s engines from 2 stroke to more modern and fuel-efficient 4 stroke engines
• Through Maritime NZ, our watercraft manufacturer, and our boat surveyor we keep abreast of any updated processes or procedures that could assist us to be more efficient and sustainable
• We are working with the Seabreacher manufacturer to develop more environmentally friendly machines that can take more passengers and explore future electric options
• We are committed to continuing to offset our carbon emissions for our fuel usage once normal business has resumed post-pandemic
At Hydro Attack Ltd we care about conserving the world’s natural resources. All bookings are saved in our reservation system so we would encourage our customers to not bring a print-out of their order confirmation or any emails.
Working closely with our community is a key value that the Hydro Attack team support. Hydro Attack strives to develop long term relationships that strengthen year on year and support the work that other local companies do.
In 2019 Hydro Attack is a festival supporter of LUMA – The Southern Lights Project, a creative and inspiring free community event for everyone to enjoy.
We are active in supporting local charities, school groups, sports groups, community events and charity fundraisers with sponsorship, free Hydro Attack rides and merchandise for prizes and auctions. Hydro Attack directors and staff are encouraged to be involved in the community, providing in-kind support and participating in events.
It is also important to us to maintain public relations and co-operation with the Queenstown residential community, Queenstown-Lakes District Council and the wider tourism industry.
Hydro Attack are actively involved with the Chamber of Commerce, Destination Queenstown and Tourism New Zealand. Hydro Attack understand the value and importance of attracting visitors to Queenstown, maintaining amenities and services, and having a voice in issues relating to the industry.
We also work with the local Queenstown Resort College to support their tourism student development programmes.